It has been some time, hasn’t it? But now I’m back and I can finally wish you a Happy New Year! I hope the first two weeks of 2015 have been wonderful to you.
I don’t usually set myself resolutions for the new year, but last year I inadvertently gave up smoking, and I can happily say it’s been a total blast breathing much more easily over the last 379 days. This year however, I made a conscious decision to add a few life goals to my list this year:
- I will eat well, consistently and be as eco-friendly as possible
- I will listen more and talk about myself less
- I will appreciate what I have right now instead of yearning for what I could have
- I will make this miso-tahini soup once a week for the rest of my life AMEN
Ginger Miso Tahini Soup
500g medium squash, either butternut or coquina, cut into smallish pieces
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
Juice of half a navel orange
3 tablespoons miso paste
1 inch of ginger, peeled and minced
300-400g cooked brown rice
2 ripe avocados
Black sesame seeds
- Arrange the squash pieces on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil and the juice of half an orange. Roast in the centre of the oven at 220°c (200°c Fan) for 45 minutes.
- Add the miso paste to a bowl and add a couple of tablespoons of boiled water to loosen. In a large saucepan add the tahini, minced ginger and 500ml water and bring to the boil. Add the miso paste and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- To serve, distribute the brown rice evenly into four bowls and top with roasted squash. Pour over the miso-tahini broth, top with half a sliced avocado and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.